Sunday, July 24, 2016

Eat Me (Bangkok)

March 2016

Soi Pipat 2, Silom, Bangkok 10500, Thailand
Tel: +66 2238 0931
www.eatmerestaurant.com

After several big meals of very spicy Thai food during my trip, I needed to take a break and wanted to have a more casual non-Thai meal in Bangkok. I sought the advice of the concierge at the hotel I was staying at and he suggested Eat Me, a hip and popular bar and bistro not far from my hotel. Located in a side street just off a main road, with a narrow nondescript frontage but opening up into a courtyard and a three-story complex, Eat M, is also quite well known to the local taxi drivers, and the taxi I got into who had no trouble bringing me to my destination.


The main dining floor is located on the second floor, above the bar area and below what I suspect is a private dining area. It was a midweek evening but the restaurant was packed, with a good mix of the local dining crowd and expats. The menu was on one sheet of paper which also served as a table mat. They also had a very competent mixologist who did a decent negroni for me that evening.


I ordered the Grilled Tiger Prawns with Tom Yum infused oil, which was a very good starter. The prawns were large and fresh and very succulent.


The Heirloom Tomato Salad with olive oil ice cream, mint, basil and parmesan was also very good. The olive oil ice cream was special and added a balanced creaminess to the sweetness of the juicy tomatoes.


The Australian Salt Bush Lamb Rack with roasted sun -chokes, chèvre and hazelnuts was very competently done but otherwise unremarkable.


The Sticky Date Pudding was done simply in a classic manner and very good. In all, this was a decent meal in a hip joint with very upbeat and friendly service staff. In fact, noting that I was dining alone, the waiters gave me special attention throughout the meal. They were also kind enough to help me call for a cab after I was done and while waiting at the bar for my ride, plied me with complimentary shots of their homemade liqueur, which was a nice touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment